Subscribe to stay in the loop
Latest headlines from the trading floor
- Which wins in the epic battle of supply and demand?
- Could China’s historical jump in milk production be coming to an end?
- That jump in high protein whey pricing is export driven, NOT domestic
- El Nino, we’ve been warned about you, but you haven’t turned up….yet!
- Cheddar – looking softer than a French brie right now
- Middle East – your buying is appreciated
- ANZACs are normally side by side, not so much right now on milk
- Battle for the “next China”
- Milk is retreating in some pretty important places, but Australia is finally up!! (albeit a little bit)
- We know NZ WMP shipments to China is down, but will zero duty entice a rebound?
- US cows produce a lot more with less, is that a “sustainability” story?
- While we’re in the US it looks like cows are migrating inland!!
- ANUGA – that’s a wrap and this is what we learnt
- High protein whey complex is back!!
- NZ Spring has sprung, milk is up and down depending on who you are
- Aussie milk could we be seeing the end of the falls?
- gDT – “Once is luck, twice is coincidence and three times is a pattern”
- Cheddar vs WMP Round 2
- CME Butter – Rocket Man
- US Gov Shutdown On Hold
- Powders powering gDT results
- US Milk production….Cowboy country is drying up
- It’s official, El Nino strikes back
- Cheddar vs WMP milk optimisation
- An unexpected strong WMP result on gDT Last night – Bull #1
- But China remained relatively quiet – Bear #1
- US prices, especially on the cheese front, remain high and supply seemingly tight – Bull #2
- European milk is still growing and European demand looks to be on the weak side – Bear #2
- Chinese WMP demand is disappearing at a critical time of year
- What has helped the China milk boom? Cows from NZ and Australia!!
- US West Coast port issues, now compounded by Panama canal
- US cheese pricing, press replay for export uptake… or lack thereof
- gDT WMP takes it on the chin
- The seesaw action of the US cheese market continues
- Green shoots in China?
- Macro impacts on Dairy
- Plant-based dairy/meat, the interest balloon seems to be deflating
US & NZ cheese prices wave at each other as they pass on the pricing curve
Like the state of international rugby, NZ price forecast is opening up a big competitive chasm between Australia and New Zealand
gDT was down again but not as much as predicted but still no thanks to China buying
- The Slope of Hope, CME Cheese futures continues the faith game
gDT – well that was interesting, let’s have a closer look
June is done, Aussie dairy industry breathes a sigh of relief… but…
Milk finally grows in Australia, could we see the trend continue?
- We’re seeing just how much money shipping companies made across the pandemic, it’s sickening
West Coast USA port issues – “We’re Back”!! (said in that scary Poltergeist voice)
We’re still in the USA and April exports were way down after being way up…which way now?
Silly season update, reporting live from Down Under
- Silly season comes to Australian dairy industry 6 months early
China China China – so much to discuss
Trouble a foot in the middle east? Yes, pun intended
Ghosts of Food Box past in the USA (the Christmas references continue)
- China has a birth rate problem – President Xi decrees time to procreate
Meanwhile, California has a snowpack problem adding to a water problem
USA needs exports more than it knows
“Super” El Nino on the way? More than another new awesome weather word
- ADPI wrap up. What did we learn?
West Coast USA port negotiations drag on. It’s all about the theory of relativity
Surely we can’t flip from La Nina to El Nino….
Chinese milk supply….What is going on behind the wall?
- 18,000 dairy cows lost in a farm fire in TX…. Yes, you read that right 18,000!!!!
CA dairy region now under water
gDT bounces back – SMP shows signs of life
Oceania processors face the mother of all catch 22’s
- gDT – China is BACK! But where was everyone else? – Discuss
Australian dairy farmers may have cause for pause if considering a beef transition
Looks like we’re back in the 1800s US wild west, train heists are a thing
Race is on to stop cows far… no let me rephrase, stop cows’ flatulence
- No one will be surprised to hear that Chinese imports are down to begin ’23 but the scale is eye opening
That thump you heard last night was gDT cheese falling out of bed
Spring has Sprung in the northern hemisphere, milk is plentiful in Europe and the US
Environmental pressures are a growing reality in our industry and will help frame the future over the next 5 years
- European milk expected to decline in 2H of 2023 but there is still a spring flush to deal with first
Shipping lines continue to hold on to blank sailings as a nice little demand enhancer
Market is looking for a direction, what day is it?
Whey proteins have experienced one of the sharpest price corrections ever, where to from here?
- Infant formula world – it’s tough out there
NZ smashed again – could be a very early finish for the North Island
What happens to alternate proteins when money starts to cost money?
Australia’s milk is down 7% YoY. Imagine if it was dry and we didn’t have the highest milk price on record!